Nawabi Paneer curry is a popular Hyderabadi dish which is made of cottage cheese. Paneer is the most favorite for vegetarians. Like paneer butter masala, Kadai paneer, paneer tikka, etc, this is one of the delicious recipes of paneer. Moreover, This is a less spicy, thick and rich gravy recipe which can make at home with less effort. This goes well with roti, pulka, naan, butter naan, etc.
How to make Nawabi paneer curry:
For this Nawabi paneer curry, first, saute the spices in the ghee. Then add green chillis, onion paste, and ginger garlic paste. Saute the paste until the raw flavor is gone. After that add cashew, almonds, and poppy paste. When it is cooked add yogurt to the Kadai. Finally, add paneer cubes to the gravy. Add milk, pepper powder and Kasturi methi to the gravy. Let everything blend nicely and cook well.
Know more about ingredients:
Paneer: Paneer is the key to this recipe. Can use homemade paneer or store-bought paneer. Cut the paneer into medium size cubes.No need to fry the paneer before. Or else they become hard.
Spices: cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, peppercorn, cumin seeds, and bay are the spices using for this recipe. They add extra flavor because of sauting them in the ghee. Add while spices. In addition to that green chillis, ginger garlic paste adds spice to this recipe. Adjust the spices according to your taste.
Cashew, almond and poppy seeds: These are the star ingredients of this recipe. Make a paste with soaked almonds, cashews and poppy seeds. The rich, creamy texture and flavor comes from this paste.
Nawabi Paneer Curry Recipe
- 2 tbsp ghee/butter
- 1 tbsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cinnamon
- 4 cardamom
- 6 green chilis
- 1 cup onion paste
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 12 cashews
- 12 almonds
- poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp salt adjust according to your taste
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp Kasturi methi
- Soak the almonds, cashews and poppy seeds for 20 mins and then make fine paste and keep it aside. The paste should be soft without any cashew crunches.
- Make ginger garlic paste and keep aside.
- Chop the onions and make a smooth onion paste.
- Cut the paneer into medium-sized cubes and takes them in a bowl
- Heat the butter/ghee in a Kadai on the medium flame. When the ghee is hot enough add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start splatting add bay leaf and whole spices. Saute them until they turn aromatic. Don't burn them.
- After that add green chilis and saute them along with spices.
- Add onion paste to the spices and mix well. Saute the onion paste until the raw flavor is gone. Stir occasionally, or else this onion paste might stick to the bottom.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw flavor is gone.
- After that add the fine paste of cashew, almonds and poppy seeds. Then mix it with the onion paste.
- Allow it to cook by closing the lid. stir the mixture in between. So that it won't strick to the bottom.
- Then add salt to the cashew paste when the oil gets separated from the mixture. After that add yogurt to the mixture.
- Stir well so that the yogurt can mix well with the masala. Cover the lid and allow it to cook.
- When the masala is cooked add paneer cubes and mix well with the masala. So that all the paneer can cover with the masala mixture.
- Cook it for few mins and stir in between. Then add milk to the kadai and mix well so that the milk properly mix with the masala and makes a thick gravy.
- Now close the lid and allow it to cook until it properly cooked.
- Then add pepper powder to the gravy and stir well. Allow it to cook until it properly cooked.
- Finally, add Kasturi methi to the Nawab paneer gravy and mix well and turn off the stove.
- Serve the hot Nawab paneer curry with roti, pulka, naan or butter naan.
Watch the Nawabi Paneer Curry Recipe video:
Similar Recipes ideas:
Paneer butter masala: This is one of the popular paneer dishes which is similar to Nawabi paneer. For this recipe Make cashew paste and tomato puree and keep it aside. After that melt, the butter in the pan and Then saute the spices, green chillis, ginger garlic paste. Then add tomato puree and let it cook. Add cashew paste to the Kadai and saute the paste until the oil is oozing out. Then add water and let it cook. Finally, add paneer cubes to the gravy. Add salt according to your taste. At last add Kasturi methi, before the turn off the stove.
Paneer tikka: This the starter recipe. For this paneer tikka marinate the paneer with yogurt, salt, chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, and ginger-garlic paste. allow it to marinate for minimum 45 mins. Can marinate the veggies like onion, capsicum along with paneer. Then roast it on a Tawa. Or line them on the skewer alternatively with veggies. Turn them to the other side when they turn golden brown. so that they can evenly cook.
delicacies are sweet not bad