Mushroom Dum Biryani is one of the traditional Indian biryanis. We can make so many dishes with mushroom. Like mushroom curry, mushroom fry, mushroom kurma, Mushroom fried rice, mushroom pulao, etc. In addition to that, this is one of the delicious mushroom recipes which can be done with less effort. This is a one-pot recipe, in which flavored the rice by the dum process. Can make mushroom pulao in a pressure cooker. But the taste will be slightly different. This mushroom dum biryani is similar to Chicken dum biryani. Can adjust spices according to your taste. This is one of the great options for vegetarians for special occasions.
How to make Mushroom Biryani
For this mushroom biryani, firstly we marinate the mushrooms with spices, thick curd, and herbs. Then cook the mushrooms for a few mins and keep it separately. Secondly, we cook the rice to 80% and let the rice cool down. Finally, cook the biryani in the dum process. In this dum process, we add the layers of rice and mushroom gravy and cease the pressure without leaking. With this pressure, rice will be cooked properly. Above all, the rice should not be sticky.
Know more about mushroom biryani:
Mushroom: Mushrooms are the star of this recipe. As you know, they are different types of mushrooms. But I have used white button mushrooms for this mushroom biryani. Mushrooms are the good source of protein and fiber, at the same time they are less in calories. Including mushrooms in your regular diet helps to control blood sugar levels. And might protect to from regular respiratory diseases. Above all, few mushrooms are highly poisonous. So use better to use store-bought mushrooms only.
Rice: For Mushroom biryani, preparation soaks the basmati rice for min 20 mins. I used Basmati rice for this recipe. Boil the rice with spices so that the rice can get the flavors from the spices. And make sure that cook the rice till 70 -80% only. Let the rice cool before the dum process.
Marination Ingredients: For marinating the mushrooms, use chopped mint and coriander leaves, thick yogurt/curd, salt, garam masala, sliced onions, and salt. Because of the marination mushrooms get tasty by absorbing all the flavors from the spices and herbs.
Mushroom Dum Biryani Recipe
- 200 gms mushrooms
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp biryani masala/garam masala
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup shallots
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp milk
- saffron optional
- Wash and rinse the Basmathi rice without any starch and then soak the basmati rice for 20-30 mins.
- Wash and clean the mushrooms and chop the mushrooms into medium size slices. And chop green chilis also.
- Slice the onions and then deep fry the onions and keep them separately in a bowl.
- prepare ginger garlic paste Or else can use store-bought ginger garlic paste.
- Wash and chop the mint and coriander leaves. Blend it into a fine paste.
- Make a dough with atta to seal the edges.
Preparation for boiling the rice
- Take a big vessel or handi and add 10 cups of water. Then add salt and a few drops of oil to the water.
- Let the water boil on the high flame. while the water is boiling add bay leaf, cinnamon, and cardamom to the rice. So that the rice gets the flavors from the spices.
- Then add soaked and drained Basmathi rice to the water and reduce the flame to the medium.
- Boil the rice until it cooked to 70-80%. Then drain the excess water and wash the rice with the cold water.
- Finally, spread the rice in a plate or bowl and allow it to cool down.
- Take the mushroom slices into a big bowl. Then add curd, salt, chillis, chili powder, biryani masala powder, coriander mint paste, ginger garlic paste, sliced onions, and shallots. Then mix well and rest it for 15 to 20 mins.
- Take a Kadai and heat it on the medium flame. Then add marinated mushroom to the Kadai and boil it until the mushroom is cooked.
- Then take a handi and heat it on the medium flame. Then add ghee at the bottom. Add a layer of boiled rice.
- Add mushroom masala on the top of the rice and then add one more layer of boiled rice on the top of the mushroom masala.
- Add shallots, ghee, chopped coriander or mint leaves on the rice. clean mushroom masala Kadai with milk and pour that milk on the top of the rice.
- If you are using saffron, add that saffron to the milk and pour it on the rice. This giver extra color to the rice.
- At last cover, the handi with lid and seal the edges with dough, so that pressure can't escape.
- Can use silver foil to seal the plate. Should keep some weight on the plate so that the pressure cannot escape. Then cook it on the low flame for 15 to 20 mins.
- Finally, serve the hot mushroom biryani with raita.
Watch Mushroom Dum Biryani Recipe video:
Similar Biryani recipes:
Chicken Dum Biryani: Chicken biryani is one of the popular dishes in South India. For making this chicken biryani, firstly marinate the chicken with yogurt, spices, and herbs. Marination for the whole night gives a wonderful taste to the biryani. Then cook the rice separately. And finally, make the layers of the chicken and rice in a Handi and cease the edges to lock the pressure. Sprinkle some shallots on the top and use saffron for some color.
Mushroom pulao: This is recipe is very close to the mushroom biryani. And the only difference is for mushroom pulao cook the mushroom along with the rice not in dum process. Can make this easily in a pressure cooker under 30 mins. Moreover, this is one of the good options for lunch boxes, get others or for special dinners.