Sweet potato tiiki is a healthy, simple snack recipe. And also know as Shakarkandi Tikki , popular during festive days . Sweet potato tikki is a combo of flavors. Each bite is crispy, sweet and spice. Isn’t awesome? Moreover, this is multi purpose snack. That means it can be used as Burger Patti or as a chaat too. On the other hand, it is quick , easy and few basic ingredients are only needed for this plate awesomeness. Above all we can feed this for toddlers also with less spices. Likely, this Sweet potato tikki is made for Navaratri days with special masala. Or else generally serve this as a tea time snack too. As you know, Shakarkandi tikki is a healthier version of potato tikki. They are many variations to this recipe, like you can add rice flour or corn flour , bread crumbs also for more crispiness.
How to make sweet potato tikki:
To make sweet potato tikki, first boil the while chick peas or Kabuli Chana with salt. Then boil the sweet potato or roast the sweet potatoes. Roasted potatoes give the Smokey flavor. You can roast them in oven or on stove top. Or else simply boil them in the pressure cooker. After that mash the chick peas and sweet potatoes. Next goes the chopped onions, green chilis, spices like chili powder, salt and garam masala. Now combine them well and make patties out of the mixture. Finally , grill them in griddle or tawa fry them with minimum oil. You better serve them hot, or else they loose the crispiness.
Know more about ingredients:
These are the star ingredient of this recipe The name it self says that they are sweet. Grown world wide and available in white, orange and purple color. You can use any of them, that doesn’t make any difference to the awesomeness of this recipe. Importantly, they packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Along with that, they contain antioxidants. So they protect our body from chronic disease and free radical damage.
In addition to that, they promote the healthy gut by encouraging the growth of good gut bacteria. Similarly, they are good source of beta carotene and anthocyanins. They helps to improve vision as well.
Spices like green chilis, red chili powder and garam masala are added in this tikki. They are the source of spiciness. Adjust them according to your taste. Along with them, you can add chat masala also. Garam masala powder is the blend of whole spices. These spices not only aromatic but also have their own benefits. Including them in your diet will be very beneficial to you.
ON the other hand, chili increases your metabolism. They has vitamin c and helps to lose weight in a healthy way by burning the fat. Furthermore, they fight inflammation, helps to sooth intestinal diseases, and lower the blood pressure as well. Chilis are the common ingredient in Indian cooking, which is very useful.
Onions add a little crunch to the patties. These are less in calories and more in vitamins and minerals. Moreover, it is very easy to include them in our diet. Above all, they contain cancer fighting properties. Not only for health life, they paly vital role in healthy skin and hair too. They help to glow the skin and removes the black spots. Not only that, fights the anti aging symptoms too. Onion oil is extremely useful for hair.
Cilantro/coriander is herb generally used in Asian cooking. Cilantro chutney or dip is very popular in Indian cuisine. It has so many medicinal properties. It helps to boost immune system and fight infections too. Antioxidant properties in cilantro can reduce the brain inflammation and anxiety symptoms.
Sweet potato tikki
- 1/4 kg sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup white chick peas
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped green chili
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp oil for shallow fry
Preparation of Sweet potato chaat:
- First boil the white peas or Kabuli Chana. They should be fully cooked.
- Then cook or roast the sweet potatoes. You can roast them on oven or on stove top. Or else boil them in a pressure cooker.
- Once they are boiled check the sweet potatoes with fork or knife. The fork should go through the sweet potatoes smoothly Then peel them.
- Now take a mixing bowl and add boiled chick peas and pealed sweet potatoes. Then mash them in to a paste.
- Now add salt, chili powder, garam masala, chopped onions, green chilis, garlic and coriander leaves.
- Put sesame seeds as well. Now combine them . After that make equal size patties with the mixture.
- Then heat the griddle or pan. Apply some oil on the griddle and place patties on top.
- Grill them on the medium flame till they turn golden brown on both side. Serve them hot.
This is the one the popular Indian street food or snack. You can say is as a most commonly eaten snack in India. They are different kind of samosa like onion, potato, chicken and keema etc. This can be the party snack or evening tea time snack. Today I’m showing you the aloo samosa(potato samosa) recipe.
- First, boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker. But they should not be over cooked. Now peel them and keep it aside.
- Then kneed the dough with all purpose flour, salt, Ajwain seeds, and oil. The dough should be soft. Rest it for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in the pan and add cumin seeds. After that add chopped garlic. After they are fried add mashed potatoes.
- Now put salt, chili powder, garam masala powder, boiled green peas, chopped coriander leaves. Combine them well and fry for 5 mins.
- Now cool down the mixture. Then make equal partitions with dough and roll the chapati with dough. And cut them in the middle.
- Now make a cone with one half of chapati and fill it with potato stuffing. Then seal the edges.
- Finally, deep fey them in the oil until they turn golden brown and serve with chutney or tomato ketchup.
Masala vada or Chana vada is south Indian breakfast or snack recipe. To start this first soak the chana for 2 to 3 hrs. This is the important step. Then separate some chana and grind the rest of the Chana with salt, cinnamon, red chilis.
- Grind the Chana in to a rough paste and transfer that in a bowl.
- After that add salt, chopped onions, rice flour, chopped curry leaves, chopped green chilis.
- Put soaked Chana dal also in that one. Now combine them well. Then check the taste .
- Now make balls with the Chana mixture and press them between the palms and deep fry them in the oil.
- Fry them in medium flame on both sides.
Ragda chaat :
This chaat is made with white peas, spices and herbs. Moreover, this is the base foe other chaat like samosa chaat, aloo tikki chaat. In this process, to make ragda it takes time. Assembling chaat is a cake walk.
- First, soak the white peas and cook them until they are fully cooked or mushy. Better to use a pressure cooker for this step. So that it can be done quickly.
- Once the peas are boiled, mash them and add salt and turmeric powder . Now add water and cook it in to a little thick consistency.
- Then leave it a side until it come to the normal temperature. Them take the ragda in to a serving bowl.
- After that sprinkle roasted cumin powder, chat masala, chopped onions, chopped green chilis and chopped coriander.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and serve.
- You can also add sev, crushed papidis, crushed samosa on the top and serve.