Dhokla is a healthy recipe made with besan/gram flour. This is puffy, soft in texture and sweet and sour in taste. You can have this for breakfast or a snack. This is similar to idly because this is also a steamed recipe. In addition to that, it belongs to Gujarathi cuisine. They two different ways to make dhokla one is the fermentation process and the other one is instant one. The fermentation process is the lengthy process, on the other hand, instant dhokla can be made under 30 mins and the taste is similar as well. Today I’m showing you how to make instant dhokla recipe.
How to make Instant Dhokla:
To make this instant Dhokla recipe, first, mix the besan with sooji, sugar, lemon juice, and water. Then rest it for 15 mins. After that add ginger chili paste, salt, turmeric powder, and mix well. Finally, add Eno fruit salt and mix it in one direction and don’t over mix. Immediately transfer this batter to the greased bowl and steam cook. Now make tempering with asafoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillis, sugar, salt, coconut powder, and coriander leaves. Adding water to the tampering is optional.
Serve the Dhola with green chutney. To make this green chutney, add coriander leaves, mint leaves, cumin seeds, green chillis, garlic, salt, and sugar to the blender. Make a fine paste.
Know more about ingredients:
Eno fruit salt: This is the main ingredient of this recipe. Because it helps to the instant fermentation. Above all, Choose the unflavored fruit salt for this recipe. Can replace the fruit salt with baking soda. After adding fruit salt mix the batter in the only one direction. It gives the puffiness to the instant Dhokla. Don’t over mix the batter.
Tempering: Dhokla is served with tempering. For tampering mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilis, coriander leaves, salt, and sugar are added. Mustard seeds help with asthma and good for skin also. Curry leaves are good for skin and scalp. Green chilis increase metabolism. Coriander leaves are a great source of dietary fiber, iron, and magnesium.
Instant Dhokla Recipe
Ingredients for Dhokla
- 1 cup Besan
- 1 tbsp sooji
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 lemon juice
- water as required
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger chili paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
Ingredients for tampering
- oil as required for tampering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 Green chillis
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut powder
Ingredients for green chutney
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 6 garlic
- 2 green chilis adjust according to your taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt adjust according to your taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preparation of Instant Dhokla:
- Firstly, take a bowl and sieve the besan into the bowl so that you can get a soft and puffy Dhokla.
- Then add the sooji and sugar to the besan and mix it with the spoon. By adding the water slowly make the batter. The batter should not be too thin or too thick.
- Then add lemon juice to the batter and mix well. Cover the bowl with lid and rest it for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, take a bowl and grease the bowl with oil or butter. Keep it aside.
- Now take a Kadai or vessel and pour the water in the vessel and let the water boil on the medium flame. And place a stand in the water so that the bowl can't touch the bottom.
- Now take the batter and add turmeric powder, salt, ginger chili paste and mix well with the spoon. After that add Eno fruit salt and some water on the top.
- Mix the batter in only one direction and immediately transfer the batter to the bowl. This process needs to be fast Or else you won't get puffiness in the Dhokla.
- Now place the bowl in the vessel and close it with the lid, So that the steam can't escape.
- Cook it on the low to medium flame for 15 to 20 mins. After that check it with the Knife or toothpick. If it comes clean the Dhokla is done.
- Or else cook it until it is done. And then turn off the stove and let it cool down.
- Now take a plate and keep it on the bowl and flip the bowl upside down and take the Dhokla in the plate.
Preparation of the Tampering:
- For the tempering heat the oil in the Kadai and add asafoetida and mustard seeds once the oil is hot enough. Let the mustard seeds fry.
- Then add curry leaves and let them fry. After that add the green chillis to the Kadai and let them fry.
- After that add sugar, salt, and chopped coriander leaves and fry them. Can add water at this stage if you want.
Preparation of green chutney
- Take a blender and add coriander leaves, mint leaves, garlic, cumin seeds, salt and sugar to the blender. Make a fine paste. Can adjust the green chilis and sugar according to your taste.
Serving the Dhokla
- Take the Dhokla and cut it to pieces with the knife and spread the tampering on the Dhokla. Now serve the Dhokla with green chutney.
Watch Instant Dhokla Recipe Video:
Samosa: Samosa is one of the popular Indian snacks. They are different types of samosas like onion samosa, aloo samosa, kheema samosa. To make samosa firstly knead the dough with flour, salt, ajwain, ghee, and water. Rest the dough. For the filling, heat the oil in a Kadai and add cumin seeds, ginger, dry fruits like cashews, raisins. Saute them. After that add boiled potatoes, peas, salt, garam masala, amchur, and chili powder. Let the mixture cool down. Now roll the dough balls into an oval shape and cut it in the middle. NOw seal the edges into a cone and fill it with filling and deep fry the samosas in the oil.
Methi ka Thepla: This is the popular Gujarathi snack, and this is a healthy recipe. To make this recipe knead the dough with wheat flour, besan, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, oil, crushed green chilis, ginger chili paste, finely chopped methi, and water. Add yogurt instead of water if you want. Make equal size balls with the dough and roll them into Theplas. Now heat the pan and place the Thepla on the pan. Flip and cook it until you see the golden spots on the Thepla. Spread some on the Theplas while cooking.