Laal maas is an authentic Rajasthan curry with a spicy authentic touch in it. Means a red meat a curry which looks red hot. The ingredients will be the red Kashmiri chillies and mutton with bones. And moreover, in Rajasthan, they don’t use many tomatoes in their dishes. Therefore they use curd with spices to get the sour taste to the curry. This recipe generally served with rotis, naan (Indian bread), and also rice. This is a royal side dish curry for maharajas in Rajasthan.
How to make Laal Maas:
Laal maas process is generally like any other curries. The curry needs whole spices, not a whole spice powder. Firstly for laal maas mustard oil is preferred to make it more delicious. Mustard oil has very strong flavors in it. After heating the oil sort the onions. To clarify for Laal maas recipe pressure cooker not preferred. We can cook it in pan or handis. caramelize the onions the color of the onions should turn brown color then add the meat. Mutton with bones is preferred best for this recipe. Above all the laal maas main ingredient will be the laal which means red color. The red color to the recipe comes from the red chillies. This Kashmiri chilli soaked and made a fine paste. Add red chilli paste after the half cooking process is done.
Know more about the ingredients:
Whole Spices: Whole spices like cinnamon and black cardamom, shahi jeera, and some cloves are the whole spice which we can use for this recipe. And every spice had its own flavor. Making whole spices powder will make the recipe more dominated with the flavors. So use only whole spices.
Meat/ Lamb / Mutton: Use fresh tender meat with bone weighted mutton pieces is the good choice for this recipe. In this recipe meat tenderizer is yogurt. It helps the meat to cook fast.
Red chilli Paste: Kashmiri chilli is best for the recipe.Kashmiri chillies have great color and the spice is so balanced.
- Mustard oil
- whole garam masala
- onions chopped
- green chilli chopped
- lamb/mutton with bones
- 3 tbsp ginger & garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander & cumin powder
- 2 tsp meat masala powder
- 1 cup curd
- 1 cup kashmiri red chilli paste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp desi ghee
- Heat the pan add mustard oil in a kadai and add whole garam masala and saute them until they turn aromatic.
- Add onions and green chilli and mix well. Saute them until the onions turn golden brown. For this recipe the onions should caramelized.
- After the onion turns its brown color add tender meat sort the meat till it looses the the water from it.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste to the meat mix it well and let it cook at least for 10 mins to release all the raw flavors.
- In the next step add salt and turmeric powder to the meat and mix well
- Then cover the lid and keep the flame low and let it cook for another 10 minutes until the oil oozes out from the meat.
- Then add coriander and cumin powder, meat masala powder and mix well . This masala powder also be blend with the meat flavours. So the process need a low flame and the cooking should done slowly.
- Add beaten curd to the curry while it is in low flame mix well.
- Now and Kashmiri red chilli paste which is soaked at least for 3-4 hours and blend it into a fine paste. After adding the chillie paste let the curry cook for a 20 minutes so the red chilli paste will mix with the curry.
- Check once in the mean while and mix it again and add water and cook until the meat becomes soft
- Then finally desi ghee of 3 to 4 spoon and mix well cover it with lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and serve the hot laal Maas with rice or roti or chapati.
Watch the Laal Maas Recipe Video:
Similar Recipe Ideas:
- Mutton Rogan Josh is a similar recipe but also a different process. rogan josh process includes Kashmiri chilli powder and fenugreek powder and amchur powder. Laal maas process doesn’t include any tomatoes. And rogan josh cooking process includes a tomato puree.
- Junglee Maas is another recipe but this recipe don’t have many ingredients. This curry includes whole garlic cloves, red chillis, and onion with some mustard oil.
- Kolhapuri Mutton Recipe also looks like the same as a laal maas but it is different. The flavor of kholapuri mutton curry made up with a special kholapuri masala. Which includes onions, coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, red chillies, and cloves.
wow, what an amazing non-veg recipe is this!! thanks for sharing, I will definitely try to cook this recipe by following your instruction.
Now add the kachri powder. Not only does this powder tenderize the meat, its also adds a nice tangy flavor to it.