Junglee Maas is a traditional Rajasthani recipe in which meat cooked with very fewer ingredients. This dish used to prepared for Maharajas after their haunting. They use to prepare this recipe in the jungle itself so they call it as Junglee Maas. Very few ingredients are needed for this recipe. In olden times they couldn’t carry more ingredients while haunting. In spite of fewer spices, this curry has the taste of its own.
How to make Junglee Maas:
Junglee Maas recipe we use few ingredients like onion, garlic, red chillis. Mutton releases it’s own juices while cooking in a low flame so you should not rush. The real magic of Junglee Maas comes from low flame only. On the other hand, don’t try this recipe in a pressure cooker. You never know that perfect flavor in a pressure cooker or high flame. The low flame cooking method is used for making this recipe. Because of fewer ingredients, we can taste the real flavor of mutton. This goes well with rice, roti, chapati, naan or pulao.
Know more about ingredients:
Mutton: Mutton gives wonderful flavor while cooking with ingredients on the low flame. You can try this recipe with chicken also but mutton tastes better. Cook the mutton until it becomes soft and needs to be patient. You can use lamb meat or goat. In addition to that, mutton is full of protein and rich in iron too.
Garlic and red chills: These are the only spices we are using in this recipe. Garlic adds a wonderful taste to the recipe and it is very nutritious. It helps in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure. Kashmiri red chillis are the only source of spice for this recipe. Red chillis not only increases metabolism but also helps with fungal infections. So can try this Junglee Maas when you are suffering from cough and cold also.
Junglee Mass Recipe
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 cup onions
- 1/4 cup garlic
- 1/2 kg goat meat
- 10 soaked kashmiri red chillis
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- firstly, clean the meat with water or else add salt and turmeric to the meat and mix well, then clean it with water and keep it aside.
- Take a large kadai and keep it on a medium flame. Then heat the mustard oil in a kadai . When the oil is hot enough add 1 cup of onions to the kadai.
- Then saute the onions until they become translucent or light brown color by covering the lid. stir occasionally while sauting the onions.
- Then add 1/4 cup of garlic and fry them along with the onions until the oil separates from onions and garlic.
- Then add the goat meat to the kadai and mix well with onion and garlic then cook the meat. until the juices oozes out from meat.
- Then add soaked kashmiri red chillis to the meat and stir well so that the meat absorbs the flavor and spice from red chillis.
- After the chills cooked along the meat, add salt and turmeric powder to the meat.and mix well.
- Now cover the lid and let the meat cook with all the ingredients so that all the flavors got in to the meat.
- Finally, add water and cook until the meat becomes soft or else the meat separates from the bone.
- Serve the hot Junglee Mass with rice, roti, pulka or pulao.
Watch the Junglee Maas Recipe Video:
Mutton masala curry: For making mutton masala curry, firstly, marinate the mutton with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, and garam masala for 2 hrs at least. secondly, add saute the onion and tomato paste in a kadai and finally, cook the mutton with masala and onions and tomato paste.
Laal maas: Process is generally like any other curries. The curry needs whole spices, not a whole spice powder. Firstly for laal maas mustard oil is preferred to make it more delicious. Mustard oil has very strong flavors in it. After heating the oil sort the onions.