Kashmiri Dum aloo is an authentic dish that belongs to Kashmiri cuisine. There are different aloo recipes like aloo fry, aloo curry, and aloo matar. But this is distinctive from other recipes because of the spices used in this recipe. Basically, Kashmiri dum aloo is a spicy curry recipe. In which baby potatoes are fried and simmered in yogurt gravy with spices. Above all, this is a no onion and garlic recipe, so you can enjoy this recipe in the festive season as well. If you want to try the real Kashmiri dum aloo then you must try at home. Punjabi Dum aloo is another version of Dum aloo which is served in Indian restaurants. And that is slightly sweet with onion and tomato gravy.
How to make Kashmiri dum aloo:
To make this recipe, first, peel off the baby potatoes and make whole with the fork on the potatoes. After that deep fry them in the oil until they turn golden brown. Moreover, the size of the potatoes is very important for this recipe.
Then fry the whole spices in the oil and add yogurt and spices to the pan and mix them well. Now finally add the fried baby potatoes and simmer them in the gravy for few minutes. Adjust the spices according to your taste. Serve hot Kashmiri dum aloo with rice, roti, naan, or chapati. To quicken the recipe you can boil them first and then deep fry them.
Know more about the ingredients:
Baby potatoes: These are the base ingredient of this recipe. The potatoes should not be too small. Or else simply cut the normal potatoes into big pieces and use them. Make holes in the potatoes before frying and it helps the potatoes to absorb the flavors more. As you know, potato is a root vegetable and it is packed with nutrients. above all, they are gluten-free and support heart health as well.
Spices: The spices like ginger powder, fenugreek powder, red chili powder are the ingredient of this recipe. And whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon stick are also added. Especially, use Kashmiri red chili powder for the color. In addition to that, adjust the spices according to your taste.
Ginger encourages digestion, relieves from nausea and Reduces the inflammation. Fenugreek seeds are full of fiber, reduces the cholesterol levels and lower the heartburn sensation. Chilis improves metabolism.
Curd/yogurt: This is the main ingredient of this recipe. This adds the sourness to Kashmiri dum aloo. Whisk the curd to remove the lumps before adding. Curd is very healthy and good for the skin and hair as well. The good bacteria in curd useful for the digestive system. Similarly, calcium and phosphorus lead to strong bones and teeth.
Kashmiri Dum aloo recipe
- 1/2 kg baby potatoes
- oil for deep fry
Ingredients for Kashmiri masala
- 4 dry red chilis
- 2 cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp peppers
- 2 tbsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp fenugreek powder
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp hing
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
ingredients for Kashmiri dum aloo
- 3 tbsp oil
- whole spices
- 2 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- Peel off the baby potatoes and make wholes with the fork on the potatoes. Then heat the oil and fry the potatoes on the medium flame until they turn golden brown.
preparation of Kashmiri masala:
- First, dry roast the red chilis, cumin seeds, cloves, peppers until they turn aromatic and let them cool down.
- Now blend them into a powder and keep it aside.
- Then a mixing bowl and add this powder to the bowl and add ginger powder, fenugreek powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, hing and mix them well with the spoon.
- After that add the mustard oil and make a masala paste.
- First, heat the oil in the pan and fry the whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and stir them until they turn aromatic.
- Then add the red chili powder and saute for 2 mins. After that add the Kashmiri masala paste and mix them well.
- Stir the paste continuously for 2 mins and add then add the curd to the pan.
- Now mix the curd well with masala paste and cook it for 5 mins by continuous stirring.
- Add water if needed and then add the fried potatoes and mix the potatoes well with the masala.
- Now cover the lid and cook for 10 mins So that the potatoes can absorb all the flavors.
- Finally, garnish the Kashmiri Dum aloo with coriander leaves and serve with roti, Naan, or chapati.
Watch Kashmiri Dum Aloo recipe Video:
Potato cheese balls: Cheese balls are favorite for everyone. This crispy snack is great for birthday parties and kids snack boxes. You can deep fry them or bake them as well. To make potato cheese balls, first, boil the potatoes. But they should not be soggy. Then peel and mash the potatoes. Add bread crumbs to make them dry.
After that add the spices like ginger garlic paste, salt, garam masala, and coriander leaves. Then make equal size balls and place the cheese cubes in the middle and close the balls. Above all, make sure that cheese is fully covered or else it might come out while frying. Then first dip them in the egg or all-purpose liquid and then roll them in bread crumbs. Finally, deep fry them in oil on the medium flame.
Potato wedges: They are best for evening snack or movies snack. To make these potato wedges first take medium-size or large-sized potatoes. Then peel and slice potatoes. Then in a mixing bowl add oregano, salt, dry basil leaves, minced garlic, and rice flour. Now mix all the ingredients together and add the potatoes to the bowl.
After that mix the potatoes with the spices. Fry them in the oil on the medium flame. They should turn golden brown on both sides. Turn them in between so that they can fry evenly. Finally, serve them with tomato ketchup.