Grilled Fish In Banana Leaf is a moist, aromatic and delicious grilled recipe. Most of all, this is the popular recipe in Asia. But the marination slightly varies from each other. Marinated fish is wrapped in banana leaves and grilled until it is cooked. Ther are different popular recipes of fish like fish pulusu, fish curry, and fish fry. Similarly, this is also a tasty recipe and great with boiled rice Moreover, banana leaf locks the flavors, moist of the fish and turns the fish yummy and juicy. Above all, use the stovetop or outdoor grills to grill the fish. On the other hand, this recipe can work with chicken, shrimp, and fork as well.
How to make Banana leaf grilled fish:
To make banana leaf grilled fish, first, prepare the marination. For marination make a paste with spices and herbs like mint and coriander leaves. Then add the mustard oil as well. Then apply this marination to the fish and rest the fish for min 20 mins. After that wrap, the fish in banana leaves with toothpicks and thread. Finally, grill the fish on the stovetop with mustard oil on the medium to low flame. Charcoal grill works as well for grilling. Above all, the fish should be cooked on both sides. Then cut the banana wrap and serve the hot fish with boiled rice.
Know more about ingredients:
Fish: Fish is the main ingredient of this recipe. Above all, you can try this recipe with any fish like tilapia, catfish, pomfret. As you know, fish is very healthy and a pack of omega 3 fatty acids, protein, and vitamins like D and B 2. Eating fish supports heart health and lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Along with that, it helps with vision.
Marination: This is the secret behind this tasty recipe. Spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, green chilis, black peppers, turmeric, and coriander leaves, mint leaves used. Green chilis help to increase metabolism. Mint leaves refresh the breath and coriander improves digestion and good for diabetes as well. Cumin seeds are full of iron and they contain antioxidants as well.
Mustard oil: Mustard oil added in the marination and in the grilling as well. Mustard oil with fish gives a wonderful taste. Moreover, it has MUFA( monounsaturated fatty acids) and they are needed for our body. Likely, it is good for the heart, skin, and hair too. In addition to that, it improves the blood circulation and protection against fungal infection, comforts from cough and cold.
Grilled Fish In Banana Leaf
- 4 fish
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 6 green chilis
- 1/4 cup garlic
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup mustard oil
- 4 Banana leaves
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- toothpicks as needed
- 4 onion slices
- 4 lemon wedges
preparation of the marinade:
- Take a mixing bowl and add cumin seeds, salt, coriander powder, green chillis,, garlic, mint leaves, black pepper, turmeric powder and grind it into a fine paste by adding the mustard oil.
- First, rinse and clean the fish. You can use any fish for this recipe. Cut the fish into pieces if the fish is big.
- After that marinate the fish with green masala and rest the fish for 30 mins. Make sure that the fish is fully covered with marination.
- After that wrap the marinated fish in the banana leaf with thread and toothpicks. Keep the fish in the middle of the banana leaf and wrap.
- Use more one leaf if needed. Or you can use silver foil instead of a banana leaf. But banana leaf is the best choice.
- So the banana leaf secures the flavor and juices without leaking and makes the fish moist and aromatic.
- Then grill the fish in mustard oil on the medium flame and once it is done on one side flip it to the other side.
- Now take out the fish from the banana leaf wrap with the scissors and serve the grilled fish with onions and lemon wedges.
Watch Grilled Fish In Banana Leaf Recipe Video:
Andra fish pulusu: First, clean the fish thoroughly and marinate with salt, turmeric powder, and chili powder. Rest it for 30 mins. Meanwhile, make a paste with onions, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon. After that heat the oil in the pan and add bay leaf and green chilis and fry them 1 min. Then add the onion paste and fry until the oil separates. Now add fish carefully and fry. After that add the tamarind juice, salt, water, and chili powder. Then let the fish cook in the tamarind juice until it is cooked properly. Finally, add the coriander leaves and turn off the stove. This tastes even better for the next day. It goes well with boiled rice.
Fish fry: This is very yummy and healthy appetizer. Fish can be deep-fried, shallow fried or grilled in the over. This goes well with rasam and sambar rice. First, rinse and clean the fish. After that take a bowl and add salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, cornflour, rice flour, and lemon juice. Add little water if needed. Then apply this paste to the fish to the fish and keep aside for min 20 mins. Now heat the oil in the pan and place the fish carefully on the pan. Shallow fry the fish on both sides. Serve the fish fry with lemon and sliced onions.