Matar kulcha is a North Indian recipe. As you know Indian bread like paratha, Naan, Roti, poori is popular around the world. And this is one of them. This is very easy to make and tasty as well. Serve this as breakfast or as a side dish at lunch. This can be served with some vegetable stuffing or chana masala. On the other hand, This recipe is very similar to the naan. Mostly kulcha is made in a tandoor or over, but try this recipe at home on the pan. There are different types of kulcha like stuffed vegetable kulcha, paneer kulcha.
How to make Matar Kulcha:
To make this recipe first, make the stuffing. For that mix the boiled white peas, chopped onions, tomatoes, spring onions, salt, turmeric, chili powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, chat masala, aam chur water, and lemon juice in a bowl. After that make the dough with all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, melted ghee or butter, and curd. Then make the balls with the dough and roll them. Then sprinkle some kalonji and coriander leaves on the kulcha and cook them on the pan until they turn golden brown.
Know more about ingredients:
Dough: The kulcha dough is made with maida, salt, baking powder, and curd. The baking powder and yogurt help to leaven the kulcha. Replace the yogurt and baking powder with yeast. The dough needs to be soft. Moreover, rest the dough for 2 hrs for soft kulcha.
Spices: The spices like chili powder, cumin, coriander powder, garam masala, chat masala are used in this recipe. They are used in the stuffing. On the other hand, adjust these spices according to your taste. They enhance the taste and flavor. Adding aam chur water makes this recipe more delicious.
Stuffing: Boiled white peas are the main ingredient of the stuffing. Veggies like chopped onions, tomatoes, spring onions, and coriander leaves are used for the stuffing. Boiled peas are very healthy and nutritious. They are good sources of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and high in antioxidants, less in calories as well.
Matar kulcha Recipe
Ingredients for stuffing:
- 1 cup boiled white peas
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp spring onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1/4 cup aam chur water
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Ingredients to make kulcha:
- 2 cup maida
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup ghee/melted butter
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- water as required
- 1 tbsp kalonji/ nigella seeds
preparation of the stuffing:
- Take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients for stuffing except aam chur water and lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients well spoon or spatula.
- After that add the aam chur water to the bowl and mix again. Now check the taste. Adjust the spices accordingly.
- finally, add the lemon juice before serving.
Pre preparation of kulcha:
- First, take a mixing bowl and add maida, salt, baking powder to the bowl and mix well. After that add the yogurt and melted ghee or butter to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well. After that add the water slowly and knead the soft dough. Now cover the dough with the wet cloth and rest it for 2 hrs.
- After that make the dough into equal portions and make small balls with the dough.
- Now sprinkle some flour on the rolling area and roll the balls in to circle shape and sprinkle some kalonji and coriander leaves on the top.
- Now with the rolling pin slightly roll on the kulcha, so that coriander leaves and kalonji can stick to the kulcha.
- Now heat the pan or griddle. After that take kulcha and spread some oil on the kulcha and cook in on the pan.
- When it is half cooked flip the kulcha and spread some ghee on the other side as well. Add oil or ghee while cooking the kulcha as well.
- Cook the kulcha until it turns golden brown and serve the kulcha hot with stuffing.
Watch Matar kulcha Recipe Video :
Aloo paratha: First make the stuffing and then knead the dough. For stuffing, boil the potatoes and peel them. After that mash, the potatoes and add salt, chili powder, garam masala, chaat masala, chopped onions, and coriander leaves. Mis them well and keep it aside. Now make the dough with atta, salt, water, and ghee. Rest the dough and after that make small balls with the dough and roll them. keep the stuffing in the middle and close the edges. Now roll the paratha carefully. Now cook in on the pan by adding the ghee to the pan. Serve the paratha with curd.
Chana masala: To make chana masala, first, Soak the chana for 8 hr or overnight. After that cook them in the pressure cooker. Then make a paste with the chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, and garlic. Now heat the oil in the pan and add spices like bay leaf, cloves, cardamom to the pan. saute them until they turn aromatic. Now add the onion paste to the pan mix well. Fry the paste until the oil separates from the pan. Now add the boiled chana along with the stock. Cook until the required consistency. Check the taste and serve it with rice, roti, pulao or kulcha.