Achari chicken is a spicy, tangy chicken curry. And this belongs to the North Indian cuisine. Similarly, to make this curry we use masala made with Pickle spices. Hence called Achari chicken. Like, Achaar, this curry enhances the taste with time. This is best to pair with plain rice, roti, chapati, and Naan.
In addition to that, this is an authentic recipe. Moreover, this is different from other chicken recipes and very popular in states like Rajasthan. On the other hand, this is best suited for winter. Because, The spices produce the heat in your body.
How to make Achari chicken:
To make this recipe, first, dry roast the spices to make the Achari masala powder. After that marinate the chicken with curd/yogurt, Achari masala powder, salt, and chili powder. Rest the marinated for 20 mins. Then heat the oil in the pan and add onion paste to the pan. Fry it until it turns golden brown.
Then add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavor is gone. Then pour the tomato puree to the pan and saute that as well. Finally add the chicken and cook the chicken until it becomes soft.
The last step of the Achari chicken is the tampering. Make the tampering with the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic. Combine that with the chicken.
Know more about the ingredients:
Achari masala powder: This is the main ingredient in this recipe. To make this masala powder first dry roast the spices like fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, and nigella. Fry them on the low to medium flame. Grin them into a fine powder.
All the ingredients in this masala powder are not only healthy. But the secret behind this delicious chicken curry.
- Fennel seeds improve digestion, controls blood pressure, and avoid constipation too.
- Cumin seeds are a good source of iron. On the other hand, methi seeds balance cholesterol levels and reduces the menstrual cramps too.
- Kalonji/Nigella seeds promote healthy kidneys and resist from Acne too.
Tampering: This tampering takes this chicken curry to the next level. Moreover, this is one more specialty of this Achari chicken. Similarly, this adds the wonderful flavor to the recipe.
Curry leaves are famous for their aroma and they are widely used in Indian cooking. They are packed with iron, Vitamin A, B, C, and B 2. Garlic is less in calories and more in nutrients. Likely, garlic is natural medicine for common cold and cough.
Mustard oil and yogurt: These Ingredients plays a vital role in the recipe. Mustard is great for this curry. You can replace this with normal vegetable oil but the taste won’t be the same. Never the less, mustard oil should come to the smoke point, before starting the recipe.
Furthermore, yogurt is very important for the thickness of the gravy. And it creates wonderful texture as well. Moreover, yogurt is great source of iron, consists of live bacteria. So it helps to the digestive system.
Ingredients for chicken masala
- 1 tbsp funnel seeds
- cumin seeds
- methi seeds
- 2 cinnamon
- 1/4 coriander seeds
- 4 red chilis
- 1 tbsp kalonji/nijella seeds
ingredients for chicken marination:
- 1 salt adjust
- 3 tbsp Spl Achari chicken masala
- 3 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp oil
- 500 gms chicken
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp garam masala
Ingredients for chicken curry:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup onion paste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp salt adjust
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
ingredients for tampering
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chrushed garlic
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 10 curry leaves
- Take the chicken in the bowl and add all the ingredients for the chicken masala and mix them well with the chicken.
- Rest the chicken for 20 mins.
Achari chicken masala prepration:
- First, dry roast all the ingredients in the list for masala. Until they turn aromatic on medium flame. Then let them cool down and blen them into a fine powder.
Prepration of the chicken curry:
- First, heat the oil in the pan. Then add the onion paste to the pan and fry for 2 mins. Then add the ginger garlic paste.
- Saute the ginger garlic paste until the raw flavor is gone. Then pour the tomato puree, add salt, turmeric powder to the pan. Mix it well with the other ingredinets.
- Fry it till the raw flavor is gone. Then add the marinated chicken to the pan and give it a stir.
- cover the lid and cook for 5 mins. Or until the water oozes out from the chicken. Then open the lid and mix it again.
- Now pour the water to the chicken and cook it until the chicken is cooked properly or it became soft. Check the salt and add if needed.
Tampering for chicken:
- Heat the oil in the pan and add kalonji seeds and methi seeds. Fry them for 30 sec. Then add the chopped ginger, crushed garlic, coriander leaves, and curry leaves. Let the splatter.
- Finally, combine this tampering with the chicken curry and mix it with the chicken.
Watch Achari Chicken Recipe Video
Similar recipes like Achari C hicken:
Chicken 65 is a starter or appetizer. Alike, boneless chicken is the best for this recipe. similarly, this belongs to the south Indian cuisine.
To make this chicken 65, first, marinate the boneless chicken with salt, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, curd, pepper powder, corn flour and egg. Mix them well.
- Now heat the oil in the pan and deep fry the chicken pieces on the medium flame. Until they turn golden brown.
- Be careful, while deep frying. Drop the chicken pieces carefully and don’t overcrowd them while frying.
- Take them in the paper tissue to absorb the excess oil.
- For seasoning, heat the oil in the pan and chopped garlic, cumin seeds, curry leaves, curd, sugar, and salt.
- Give it a stir and when the bubble appears add the fried chicken to the pan.
- Mix the chicken with the seasoning and fry for 2 mins. Serve hot.
This is one pot dish. Chicken pulao is popular in all over the world. As you know, they are different one pot dishes like veg pulao, mutton pulao, chicken biryani, and mutton biryani. And this belongs to the same family.
This chicken pulao is delicious, yummy, and most favorite for every nonvegetarian.
- To make chicken pulao, first soak the Basmati rice for 20 mins. And after that marinate the chicken with salt, chili powder, ginger, garlic paste,curd and biryani masala for 45 mins.
- Then heat the oil in the pressure cooker add whole spices to the cooker.
- Fry the spices until they turn aromatic. Chopped onions goes next and saute them till they turn brown.
- Put the ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw flavor goes away.
- Then add the chopped tomato and fry the tomato until they become soft.
- Now combine the marinated chicken and give it a stir. Cook the chicken properly.
- After that blend the chopped coriander and mint leaves to the chicken,
- Next, pour the water to the chicken and let the water boil and check the taste. Add if anything needed.
- Then mix the rice in the cooker and cover the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve the hot Biryani with raita and chicken curry.