khandvi is the Gujarati snack recipe. This layered snack made with gram flour and buttermilk. This snack needs some practice in the initial attempts. Making the batter is the tricky part of this recipe. In addition to that, the right consistency of the batter is the key to the perfect Khandvi rolls. These healthy, sour silky rolls melt in your mouth right away. Like, other Gujarati recipes, this recipe needs basic ingredients like besan, curd, and some spices. This is also known as Pataudi, and suralichi, and patuli in Marathi.
How to make khandvi Roll:
To make this recipe, first, make the batter with besan, curd, water, and some spices. Grease the plate or tray with oil and keep it in the workspace. After that transfer that batter to the thick bottomed pan and cook the batter on the medium flame and spread it immediately on the greased plate or tray. After that let the batter cool down and cut the better into strips with a knife. Then roll the stripes tightly from one end to the other end. Then pour the tampering on the top of the Khandvi roll and serve them with green chutney.
Know more about ingredients:
Besan: This is the base ingredient of this recipe. Better to sieve the batter to remove lumps. Besan is glue ten free and rich in vitamins and minerals. In addition to that, it is less in calories and full of fiber, and high in protein. Besan ka laddu, besan chilla, and Dhokla are the popular besan recipes.
Curd or buttermilk: This is the key ingredient of this recipe. If you are using curd add water along with curd. Or else to make the buttermilk mix the equal quantity of curd and water. Don’t make it too thin. On the other hand, the curd should be sour. To add sourness use lemon juice, if the curd is not sour.
Gujarati khandvi Recipe
Ingredients for the batter:
- 1 cup Besan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch Hing/asafoetida
- 1 tbsp green chili, ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup curd
- water As required
Ingredients for stuffing:
- 3 tbsp Grated coconut powder
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
Ingredients for the tampering:
- 3 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 pinch hing
- 3 tbsp oil
Preparation of the batter:
- Take a mixing bowl and add besan, salt, hing, turmeric powder, green chili, ginger, and garlic paste, curd to the bowl.
- Then mix well and stir continuously to form a smooth paste. Make sure that there should not be any lumps. Add water if needed.
- After that take a sieve and filter the batter to remove the lumps and rough parts in the batter.
- Grease the plate or tray with oil and keep it aside near the work space.
- Take a wide-open and thick bottomed pan and transfer the batter to the pan and cook the batter on the medium flame.
- When the batter is getting hot keep on stirring because it starts forming lumps when it is getting hot.
- The batter should not stick to the bottom. Cooking the batter is the tricky part of this recipe. So make sure to stir continuously.
- Take a spoon full of batter and spread it on the greased plate and if you are able to make a roll, then the batter is ready. Or else cook the batter for little more time.
- Above all, the batter should be cooked on the medium flame only. And continuous stirring is required to avoid lump formation.
- When the batter is ready, transfer the batter on the greased plate immediately and spread with a spatula. It is hard to spread when the batter even a bit cold.
- Let the batter cool down and cut the batter into stripes with a knife. Then sprinkle grated coconut leaves and chopped coriander leaves on the top.
- After that from one edge start rolling the stripes to the other edge tightly. Repeat the same process for other rolls well.
- If the stripes are lengthy, make two rolls with a stripe. The thickness of the stripes depends on the batter and the length depends on the greased plate.
- Arrange all the rolls in a plate and sprinkle some grated coconut on the top.
- Heat the oil in the pan and add mustard seeds, chopped coriander leaves and hing to the pan.
- When the coriander leaves start changing color, then turn off the stove and pour the tampering on the Khandvi rolls and serve them with green chutney.
Tempering: For tempering mustard seeds and coriander leaves are used. pour the tampering on the top. You can use curry leaves and green chilis as well. This is the must and they add extra flavor to the recipe. Mustard seeds are helpful to reduce Migraines and beneficial for asthma patients as well. Cilantro is the aromatic herb and helps to improve the digestion and fight infections.
Watch Gujarati khandvi Recipe Video:
Similar Recipes like khandvi :
Dhokla: This Dokhla belongs to the Gujarati cuisine and serves as a breakfast and snack as well. This can be done in two ways, the first one is the lengthy fermented process and the second one is the instant process. First, to make the batter, add besan, sooji, salt, turmeric, sugar, chili, ginger paste, lemon, and oil to a mixing bowl. Give it a good stir and after that add Eno fruit salt for instant puffiness. Make sure to stir in one direction only. After that transfer, the batter to the greased bowl and cook in the steam for 20 mins. When it gets cool down cut into pieces and serve with tampering and grated coconut on the top along with some green chutney.
Besan ka laddu: This yummy dessert recipe, made with besan, ghee, sugar, cardamom powder, and some chopped nuts. This is the traditional recipe for festivals. To make this first, roast the besan in the ghee until it turns aromatic. Then add the ghee and keep on stirring until the ghee starts oozing out. Then turn off the stove and let the mixture cool down. After that add the sugar and cardamom powder and mix well. After that take some portion and roll them into laddu. Finally, garnish them with chopped nuts and serve them.
Great content! Super high-quality! Keep it up! 🙂