Onion rings are the popular American appetizer recipe, they are crispy and crunchy outside with soft onion inside. They are very easy to make but the batter is the crucial part of this recipe. The batter should stick to the onion for the perfect crunchy onion rings. They are different ways to make onion rings but I prefer this recipe because of fewer ingredients. You can bake the onion rings in the oven, or deep fry them in the oil. They can make the best side or appetizer for parties and dinners. Moreover, they go well with the sandwich and burgers top layer to add the crunchiness.
How to Make Onion Rings:
To make onion rings firstly, cut onions and separate them into rings and keep them on a plate. Now make a batter with the all-purpose flour, pepper, salt, and water. the batter should not be sticky. Then dip the onion rings in the batter first and roll them in bread crumbs. Finally, deep fry them in the hot oil and serve them with ketchup and ranch.
know more about ingredients:
Onions: These are the main ingredient of this recipe. Any kind of onions are suitable for this recipe, On the other hand, they should be in the medium to large size. Cutting of the onions is a crucial part of the recipe. Cut them into 1/4 inch thickness and cut them equally, so that they can fry evenly.
Batter: All-purpose flour, pepper, salt, and water is used to make the dipping batter. You to be a little careful while adding the water. Add the water at a low speed. Because if the batter is too thin or runny, it can’t stick to the onions properly. This act’s as a binding factor for the bread crumbs to stick on the onions. Dip in the batter for two times for better thickness. Pepper and salt add the spice and taste to this recipe. Adjust the pepper and salt according to your taste.
Bread crumbs: They reason behind the crunchiness of this recipe. Use any bread crumbs like homemade or store-bought bread crumbs. That doesn’t make any difference in the taste. If the bread crumbs are not available, make rough powder with the plain cornflakes and use them.
Onion Rings Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour/ Maida
- 1/2 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- water as required
- 1 cup onion rings
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- oil as required for deep fry
preparation of onion rings:
- Take medium or large-sized onions and cut them in 1/4 inch thickness. After that separate, the onion rings from each other and keep them in a bowl.
- Use the medium and large size rings to make onion rings and save the rest for some other recipes.
Preparation of the batter:
- Take a mixing bowl and add all-purpose flour, salt, pepper and mix them well. Now add the water at the slow speed.
- Make the batter without lumps. Moreover, the batter should not be runny. If is it runny it can't stick to the onion rings.
- First, heat the oil in the pan to deep fry the onion rings. Then take the onions ring and dip it in the batter. After that roll it in the bread crumbs.
- Repeat the same process for other onion rings also. You can dip the onion ring in the batter 2 times for a thick layer.
- Make sure that the onion ring is fully covered with the bread crumbs. Now keep the onion rings on the plate.
- When the oil is hot enough, drop the onion rings slowly in the oil and fry them on the medium flame.
- They absorb more oil if you fry them on low flame. Flip them while frying so that they can fry evenly.
- Once they turn into golden brown on both sides, take them on the tissue paper. so that the tissue can absorb the excess oil.
- Onion rings can be done in the oven or air fryer also if you want to have the healthier version of onion rings.
- Serve the hot onion rings with tomato ketchup or ranch.
Watch Onion Rings Recipe Video:
Similar Recipes Like Onion Rings:
Onion pakoda: This is the popular Indian snack made with onions, besan or gram flour, salt and spices. In this recipe, you can replace the onions with potato or raw banana. To make this recipe first, slice the onions and keep them separately in a bowl. Then add the chilis, chopped ginger, curry leaves, and salt and salt to the same bowl and squeeze them lightly. After that add the besan to the bowl and mix properly so that the onions can fully cover with the flour. Now take a pan and heat the oil in the pan.
When the oil is hot enough, make small pakoda’s with your fingers and drop them in the oil. Flip the pakoda’s while deep frying so that they can fry evenly. Moreover, fry them in the medium to high flame or else they absorb the oil more. Fry them until they turn golden brown and take in a paper towel so that it can absorb the excess water. Serve hot onion pakoda with some chutney or tomato ketchup.
French fries: Not only kids, everyone loves french fries. This is one of the best side dishes with burgers, sandwiches and they are made with potatoes. They are crispy from outside and soft from inside. To make these french fries first take the large potatoes and slice the potato into 1 cm thickness and rinse them in the running water so that they will be free of starch. Now dunk them in the cold water and refrigerate them for 30 mins. And dry them completely, with the cloth.
Heat the oil in the pan and fry them lightly and take them in the plate with a paper tissue. Then fry them again until they turn crisp and golden color. Now take them in a bowl and sprinkle some salt, herbs, and paprika or chili powder and toss them well. Serve the french fries with tomato ketchup.