Donne biryani is the traditional recipe, which is very popular in Banglore. All the Bangloreins enjoy this spicy, hot Biryani in bowls or plates made with dry palm leaves or banana leaves, Called Donne. Hence the name called Donne biryani. Even though this biryani is served in most of the restaurants in Bangalore, Shivaji Military hotel, Banashankari serves the best Donne biryani in town. The secret behind the distinctive flavor of this Biryani is the masala paste. On the other hand, the cooking process of this Biryani is similar to the Pulao. They use Seeraga samba rice or jeera samba rice for this Donne biryani.
How to make Chicken Donne Biryani:
To make this recipe, firstly, make a paste with onions, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilis.garlic, and ginger in the blender. Secondly, heat the oil in the pan and add whole spices and then add chicken, fry the chicken. Then goes in the tomato puree. After that add the masala paste, salt, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, and pepper. give it a stir, cook until the chicken becomes tender. Finally, add the rice and water to the pan. Add lemon juice and turn off the stove. Serve the Donne biryani hot with Raita.
Know more about ingredients:
Green Masala: This is the star ingredient behind the distinctive flavor of this recipe. Chopped onions, green chilis, mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, and garlic are used to make this masala. Green chilis help to increase metabolism. Coriander and mint leaves are the aromatic herbs. Mint helps to prevent bad breath and coriander leaves are rich antioxidants, in addition to that they help to lower the blood pressure and contributes to the digestive health.
Bangalore special Donne Biryani Recipe
Ingredients for the green masala:
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- 4 green chilis
- 2 inch ginger
- 5 garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
Ingredients for making the Donne biryani:
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaf
- 4 cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 500 gms chicken
- 1/4 cup Tomato puree
- 1/2 cup green masala
- 3 tbsp salt adjust
- 2 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp pepper powder
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups water
Preparation of green masala:
- Take a blender and add sliced onions, mint leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic, and coriander leaves. After that make a fine paste.
- Transfer this into a bowl and keep it aside.
- Wash and rinse the rice and keep them in a bowl. Clean the chicken and keep it in a separate bowl.
- Make the tomato puree and transfer it to the bowl. keep it near the workspace.
- Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan or pot. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, when the oil is hot enough.
- Fry them until they become aromatic. Then add the chicken and give it a stir. Fry the chicken for 5 mins.
- After that add the tomato puree to the pot and mix it well with the chicken. Now cover the lid and cook until the oil separates from the chicken.
- Then add the green masala, salt, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, pepper powder, and Mix them really well with the chicken. So that the chicken absorb the flavors from the masala.
- Now cover the lid and cook on the medium flame until the chicken is cooked.
- Then add the rice to the chicken and mix well. After that add the water and give a stir. Then cover the lid and cook.
- When the rice is half cooked add ghee and lemon juice. Stir it carefully and close the lid and cook on the low flame.
- When the biryani is done, serve the hot Donne biryani with raita and sliced onions.
Watch Donne Biryani Recipe Video:
Similar Recipes Like Chicken Donne Biryani:
Vegetable pulao: Veg pulao is the one-pot meal. There different kinds of pulao like veg pulao, chicken pulao, mutton pulao, paneer pulao. Serve them for a potluck, or birthday party, guests will be more than happy. First, soak the basmati rice for 20 mins. After the heat the oil or oil in a pot or handi. After that add the whole spices and fry them until they turn aromatic. Then add the chopped onions and green chilis and fry them until the onions become tender.
add the ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw flavor is gone. Then add the chopped veggies like carrots, beans, cauliflower, peas and fry them. Then add the water and salt and give it a stir. Let the water boil, then add the soaked rice and mix well. Then cover the lid and cook it on the medium flame. Sprinkle some coriander leaves before turning off the stove.
Tomato rice: First, wash and soak the basmati rice for 20 mins. Then heat the oil in the pan and add the mustard seeds to the pan. When they start to crackle, add chopped onions, green chilis, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper. Fry them until the onions turn into golden brown. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute it until the raw flavor is gone. Then add the chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and pepper powder. Give it a stir and cook the tomatoes until they become soft. Now add the water and let the water boil. Then add the soaked basmati rice and mix well. Check the salt and add more if needed. Finally, cover the lid and cook until the rice is cooked properly.