Rasgulla is a juicy dessert, made with milk and sugar syrup. This is a Bengali recipe that is similar to the Gulab Jamun, chum chum, and Ras malai. This recipe looks hard to make but with little tips, you can easily make this at home. These Rasgullas taste better if they soak in the sugar syrup for 1 day. Try this sponge dessert for your next festival or party. They can easily store in the refrigerator for 1 week. Make them prior to a family dinner or party, so it saves lots of time. The main part of this dessert is curdling milk. Use lemon juice or vinegar to curdle milk.
How to make Rasgulla Recipe:
First, boil the milk and then add lemon to curdle milk. After the milk curdled turn off the stove and let it cool down. After that filter the curdled milk into a thin cloth and separate the chenna. And rinse the chenna with water. Then fold the cloth and squeeze the excess water. Meanwhile make sugar syrup with sugar, water, cardamom powder, and ghee. Then knead the chenna and make balls with the chenna and boil them in the water. Finally, add the Rasgulla to the sugar syrup and soak them in the sugar syrup.
Know more about the ingredients:
Chenna or panner: This is the main ingredient of this recipe because Rasgulla is made with chenna. Fresh chenna is made by crudling the milk. Use the whole milk or full-fat milk to this recipe. Better to avoid tetra packs and low-fat milk for this recipe. Milk should be fresh. On the other hand, avoid the milk if it changes the color after curdling. The consistency of the paneer is important as well. Add some extra flour if it is too moist.
Lemon juice or vinegar: This helps to curdle the milk. Add lemon juice or vinegar when milk comes to a boil. Then give it a stir. For half-lit milk add 1 tbsp lemon juice. Add more if needed. After Draining the crudled milk, rinse the chenna with water to remove the flavor.
Sugar syrup: Use refined sugar for the best results. Moreover, the sugar syrup should not be thick or string consistency. Just melt the sugar and bring it to a boil. Or else the Rasgulla may not able to absorb the syrup. Add cardamom powder and saffron enhances the flavor and taste of the sugar syrup. These ingredients for the taste of this recipe. You can add rose water too. But this is optional.
Ingredients to make paneer or chenna
- 1 lit full-fat milk or whole milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water as required
- milk powder
Ingredients to make sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
preparation of Chenna or paneer:
- Take a thick bottomed pan and add milk to the pan. Let the milk come to a boil on the medium flame.
- After that add the lemon juice to the milk and stir the milk until it curdles. Add more lemon juice if needed.
- Then turn off the stove and let it cool down.
- Then take a thin cloth and place it on the colander. Now keep the colander on the bowl and drain the curdled milk. Then pour a glass of water on the paneer to remove the flavor.
- Now squeeze the cloth as hard as you can, to remove water and place some weight on the cloth to remove the excess water. leave it for 30 mins.
Preparation of sugar syrup:
- Take a pot or a pan and add sugar to the pan and then add water. Better to take a wide pan because we need to add the rasgulla's in the same pan.
- Then stir until the sugar melts. The sugar syrup should not be thick or string consistency. Just bring it to a boil and turn off the stove.
- Add cardamom powder and ghee while the sugar is melting. Mix them well in the sugar syrup.
- Now take the paneer in a bowl. And knead it for 10 mins. Or else until it becomes soft. At this stage add some milk powder if the chenna is too moist.
- Then make the dough into equal portions and make balls by rolling them between the palms.
- Make sure that the balls are small or tiny. They increase in size while boiling.
- Now heat the water in a pot or a pan and add these balls to the water until they are cooked.
- Once they are cooked add them to the sugar syrup and make sure that the balls are fully covered with the sugar syrup.
- Rest them in the syrup for 20 to 30 mins. Or else until they absorb the syrup. Moreover, sugar syrup needs to be hot. If the syrup is cold, heat the syrup before adding the Rasgullas
- Serve the Rasgullas warm or chilled. Garnish with saffron before serving if you want.
Watch Rasgulla Recipe Video:
Gulab Jamun: This is also a juicy dessert made with the milk powder, flour, ghee, milk, curd, and sugar syrup. To make this Gulab Jamun first, make a dough with the milk powder, maida, ghee, baking soda, milk, and curd. Adjust the milk and curd quantity according to the consistency. If the dough is dry add some more milk. Then make small balls with the dough and deep fry them in the oil. Then add them to the sugar syrup. Or else simply make Gulab Jamun with the instant mix and fry them and add to the hot sugar syrup.
Kalakand: You can make kalakand in instant process or traditional lengthy process which takes a lot of time and energy. But you can make kalakand in the instant process within 20 mins. To make this first make paneer by curdling the milk. Then add the condensed milk, milk, and paneer to the thick bottomed pan and mix well. Cook it until it forms a mass and starts leaving the pan. While this process keeps on string or else it will burn or stick to the bottom. Then transfer it onto a plate and make it even with a knife or spatula. After that cut it into pieces and add chopped nuts on the top. Refrigerate this until it sets as a barfi.