Vada pav is the popular street food which is basically originated from the streets of Mumbai. Not only Mumbai Vadapav is popular in the whole Maharastra. This is very similar to the burger, Pav is the Indian Burger bread and vada is the deep-fried potato stuffing dipped in besan flour, served along with some chutneys like green chutney, and dry garlic chutney. The Vada pav recipe is similar in all cites, but the Vada pav from the Mumbai is the best of all. Moreover, this Vada pav is pocket-friendly, tasty and filling as well.
How to make Vada Pav:
To make this Mumbai Vada pav first, make the chutneys. For dry garlic chutney dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, red chilis, garlic cloves, grated coconut, peanuts and blend them together with salt and chili powder. The green chutney can be made with mint, cilantro leaves, cumin seeds, chilis, garlic, and ginger. Then for making Batata vada dip the tampered boiled potato balls in the Besan and deep fry them. Finally, assemble the vada with the pav and serve with fried green chilis.
Know more about Ingredients:
Batata vada: This is the key ingredient of this recipe. To make this first, dip the potato balls in the besan batter and then deep-frying the balls. This vada is similar to the aloo bonda, but the only difference is these are only made with boiled potatoes without adding any veggies like onions. The besan batter should not be too thin or else potatoes won’t cover with the batter properly.
Chutneys: Chutneys like dry garlic chutney, green chutney are used in this recipe. Using Sweet chutney is optional. These chutneys can be stored in the fridge as well. Making chutneys in advance can make this process quick. These are the key ingredients of this recipe. The Vada pav won’t be the same without these. They add delicious flavor and spice to this recipe.
Mumbai Vada Pav Recipe
Ingredients for dry garlic chutney:
- 3 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 5 red chilis
- 15 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp salt
ingredients to make green paste:
- 2 green chilis
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander
Ingredients to make Batata vada
- 2 tbsp oil tampering
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 cup boiled potatoes
- 2 tbsp green paste
- 1 tbsp salt adjust
- oil for deep fry
- 1 cup besan flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- water as required
Ingredients for vada pav:
- 4 Pav
- 4 Batata Vada
- 8 tbsp green chutney
- 8 tbsp Dry garlic chutney
preparation of dry garlic chutney:
- First dry roast the spices like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and red chillis. Then keep them in a plate. Let them cool down.
- After that dry roast the grated coconut and garlic cloves. Then keep them in a separate bowl.
- Then roast the peanuts on the medium flame and take them in a bowl and let them cool down.
- Then a take a blender jar and add all of the roasted ingredients into the blender. Then add the chili powder and salt to the jar and blend into a powder.
preparation of green paste:
- Take a blender and add green chilis, garlic cloves, cumin seeds, coriander leaves and make a paste of it.
Preparation of aloo mixture for batata vada:
- Heat the oil in the pan and once the oil is hot enough add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once they splutter add turmeric powder, curry leaves, and boiled mashed potatoes to the pan.
- Then mix the potatoes well with the other ingredients. Fry the aloo mixture for 2 mins.
- Then add the green paste and salt to the potatoes and mix everything well. Saute this mixture for 3 mins and turn off the stove. Let the mixture cool down.
- Now make the balls with the potato mixture and keep them in a plate.
Preparation of batter for batata vada:
- Take a mixing bowl and add besan to the bowl. then add the salt, turmeric and chili powder to the bowl. Mix them well.
- After that add the water to make the thick batter and make sure that they shouldn't be any lumps. Adjust the water quantity.
- Add the water at low speed while making the batter. The batter should not be too thin or too thick.
Making the Batata vada:
- Heat the oil in the pan or kadai for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough dip the potato balls in the batter and drop them in the oil slowly.
- Fry these balls in batches and make sure that they are not overcrowded. Fry them on the medium flame until they turn golden brown.
- Take them in the paper tissue so that it can absorb the excess oil.
Assembling the vada pav:
- Take the pav in one plate and get the vada, chutneys to the workplace, so that it will be easy to assemble.
- Take the pav and slice them in the middle. Then apply the garlic chutney on one side and green chutney on the other side.
- After that place the vada in between and serve immediately along with fried green chili. Or else the bread will be soggy.
- Add green chutney and garlic chutney on the top as well before serving.
Watch Vada Pav Recipe Video :
Pav bhaji recipe: This is one of the yummy street foods of Indian cuisine. To make Bhaji first, boil the veggies like cauliflower, carrots, green peas, potatoes and mash them. Now heat the butter in the pan and add chopped onions and fry them until they become soft. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry. Then add the chopped capsicum and saute them. After that add the chopped tomatoes and cook them until they become soft. Then add salt, chili powder, and pav bhaji masala.
Then add mashed veggies to the pan and mix well with the onions. Cook until the bhaji gets thicken. Then roast the bun with lots of butter and serve the bhaji with chopped onions and butter on the top and with pav, along with the lemon wedges.
Aloo Tikki: To make aloo Tikki, first boil the potatoes and mash them. Make sure that the potatoes are not too moist. Then add the salt, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, chaat masala, garam masala and mix well. Then make balls with them and flatter them by pressing them between the palms. Now heat the oil in the kadai and deep fry them. Or else grill them in the oven or shallow fry them. You can use these as burger patties and in chaat as well.