Looking for south Indian mango rice? Here we are presenting you the yummy mango rice. Mango rice or pulihora is one of the favorite cuisines for south Indians in mango season. Mongo pulihora is south in Indian dish which mostly prepares on the summer season with the raw sour mangoes. And this is the Ugadi special dish for many south Indians, moreover, in many temple’s they serve pulihora as a Prashad. The main ingredients of this recipe are sour mangoes, rice, and tempering.
How to make a mango pulihora/ mango rice:
This recipe is very similar to lemon or tamarind rice. Firstly we have to prepare steamed rice and it should be non-sticky. In addition to the rice, we have to prepare grated green mango and it has to be sour in taste. And give fresh tempering to the rice then mix the grated mango to the tempering. Mangoes gives the tangy flavor and the tampering adds spice and crunchiness to the rice.
Know more about the ingredients:
- Mangoes: Raw sour mangoes are preferable for this recipe. Make mango paste or else you can add grated mangoes so that they can mix easily with the rice. But you should not use ripe mangoes for this recipe.
- Tempering: For tempering, we use curry leaves, green chillis, ginger, jeera, mustard seeds, chana dal, and urad dal. Green chilies add spice to the rice and tampering add’s crunchiness. Above all, make sure that tampering should not burn.
- 1 cup Boiled rice
- 1/2 cup Mango
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp channa dal
- 1/2 tbsp urad dal
- 3-4 tbsp peanuts/ground nuts
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 5 green chillis
- 2 Red chills
- pre-preparation; 1) Boil the rice and keep it separately2)Peel and grate the mango
- Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan
- Add peanuts and saute them and keep them separately in a bowl
- Add cashew nuts and saute them until they ate golden brown
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them crackle
- Add chana dal, urad dal, green chills, and red chills and toss them well
- Add curry leaves, chopped ginger and a pinch of asafoetida and toss well
- Add turmeric powder and toss well. saute them for 2-3 mins.
- Add grated mango and saute it for 2-3 mins
Watch Mango Pulihora Recipe video
- Tamarind rice: Tamarind is similar to mango rice replace the mango with tamarind and make tamarind juice then boil and make tamarind paste, finally, mix this paste with steamed rice and tampering.
- Lemon rice: For lemon rice, mix the lemon juice with boiled rice and tampering. But you should not mix the lemon to the hot rice. Firstly need to let the boiled rice cool down.
- Coconut rice: Firstly, grate the coconut and then roast the coconut in the ghee or oil. And finally mix it with steamed rice and tampering. For all these recipes you should not overcook the rice.