Idiyappam is one of those recipes Traditional south Indian breakfast recipe. Some Traditional recipes are easy to make and tasty and healthy as well. Above all can be made with only two ingredients. In addition to that this is healthy because Idiyappam is made with rice flour and it is steam cooked. Can serve this steam cooked rice noodles along with sweetened coconut milk and some sugar sprinkled on the top for kids. They are definitely going to love this recipe. Good choice for toddlers because this is made up of rice flour. Idiyappam is best served with vegetable stew a healthy vegetable soup cooked in fresh coconut milk.
How to make Kerala style Idiyappam:
To make this idiyappam, firstly, Dry roast the rice flour and then salt and coconut milk to the rice flour. cook the rice flour and add oil to the dough. Knead the dough for 2 mins. Now grease the idli tray and make the Idiyappam with Idiyappam press. Most importantly Steam cook the Idiyappams in Idli cooker.
For the vegetable Stew, heat the oil in a pan and add chopped ginger, garlic, and green chili add onions and saute them. After that add chopped veggies like potato, carrot, and french beans and cook them with coconut milk. The vegetable choice totally depends on our choice. Vegetable stew main process be cooking all the veggies in coconut milk. Now serve the Idiyappam with mixed vegetable Stew.
Know more about ingredients:
Rice flour: Rice flour is the main ingredient of this recipe. However, rice flour is available in the market these days. Or else can use homemade rice flour. Firstly soak the rice and dry them. then grind them into a fine powder. This rice flour is full of fiber and gluten-free.
Idiyappam press: Can,t make this recipe without Idiyappam press. These are easily available in Indian markets. Idiyappam press with the small holes is the good choice for this recipe. In addition to that Grease, the Idiyappam press with oil so that the dough could stick to the press.
Veggies: This recipe served with mixed vegetable Stew. For this can use veggies like potatoes, french beans, and carrots, etc. This will be the idle side dish for this recipe.
Coconut milk: Coconut milk adds great flavor to this recipe. Can use homemade coconut milk or store-bought coconut milk. To make coconut milk first, grate the coconut. Then take a blender and add grated coconut and water. blend them together. Now filter the coconut milk. Coconut milk good for hair and helps with weight loss.
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped green chilis
- 3 tbsp onions
- 1 cup vegetables
preparation of rice dough:
- Heat the pan and dry roast the rice flour and add salt to the flour. Then add hot coconut milk to the rice. And add the oil while the rice flour is cooking in the coconut milk. cook it until it makes a dough.
- Take the dough in a bowl and let it cool down a bit. Then knead the dough for 2 mins.
Preparation of Idiyappam:
- Take an idli cooker and Grease the Idli trays with oil. Now fill the Idiyappam press with rice dough and make idiyappam on the idli tray.
- Now steam cook the idiyappam in Idli cooker until they are properly cooked. Take them in a plate once they are done.
- Can use hot water instead of Cmilkoc. The quantity of milk depends upon the rice. Make sure that to use hot milk/water only not the cold milk.
Preparation of Vegetable Stew:
- Heat the oil in the pan add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillis to the pan. Now fry them lightly.
- Then add finely chopped onions to the pan and saute them. After that add chopped veggies to the onions and stir them well.
- Now cover the lid and let them cook them. Then add salt to the veggies stir well. After that add water to the veggies and stir well. Can use veggies of your choice.
- Make sure to cut the veggies into medium size pieces, not the small size.
- Add coconut milk when veggies become half-cooked.
- Then cover the lid and cook let them cook. Once the curry is done serve the hot Idiyappam with vegetable curry stew.
Watch Idiyappam With Vegetable Stew Recipe Video:
Similar recipes like Idiyappam:
Ravva Idli: This is the popular south Indian breakfast recipe. firstly, soak the Urad dal and grind the urad dal into a fine paste. subsequently, add Idliravva to the urad dal batter and ferment the batter for the whole night. In addition to that add salt to the batter Next morning and steam cook the idli in the idli cooker. Can serve this Idli with coconut chutney, peanut chutney, and Sambar.
Appam: Similarly appam is a Kerala break-fast with very fewer ingredients. In short Pancake made with rice flour coconut milk or grated coconut and baking soda or you can use yeast for fermentation. Therefore appam is good choice for lite break-fast.