Chicken roll is the famous street food in Kolkata. As you know Kolkata is popular for Jhal muri, Pani puri, Pav bhaji, Batata puri, and this Chicken roll is one of them. This is also known as chicken Kathi roll, basically, this is the chapati or paratha rolled with some spicy chicken and onion slices. In Kolkata, they made these chicken rolls with fresh ingredients in front of you. Try these street style chicken rolls, when you get a chance to visit Kolkata, they taste way better than the restaurant ones. This can be available in most of the street stalls in Kolkata.
How to make Kolkota Chicken Roll:
First, marinate the boneless chicken with salt,cumin-coriander powder, chili powder, green chili paste. Mix well and marinate the chicken. After that shallow fry the chicken until it becomes soft. To make this chicken roll recipe, first knead the dough with all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, ghee, and water. Then rest the dough. Then make balls with the dough and roll them like chapati. After that Heat the oil and keep the chapati on the pan and cook it until it turns golden brown. Now add the beaten egg on the top of the chapati on both sides and cook until the egg is cooked. Finally, roll the chapati with some chicken, onion slices, salt, chili powder, and serve hot.
Know more about ingredients:
Chapati or paratha: Chapati is the base for this recipe. This chapati or paratha should be flaky. In the original recipe, it is made with Maida or all-purpose flour. But you can replace this with atta as well. While kneading the dough extra care needs to be taken. Pour the water slowly and better to use warm water. Adding ghee gives the extra soft and flaky ness to this recipe.
Chicken and egg: Chicken and egg are the star ingredient of this recipe. Only boneless chicken suits for this recipe. Marinating the chicken is the crucial part or else chicken won’t be flavorful. Chicken is very nutritious, full of protein and less in fat. It helps to build muscles and boost immunity. Eggs are full of protein and a good source of selenium, vitamin D, Vit B6, and B12. Not only that they are rich in minerals like zinc and copper as well.
Chicken Roll – Kolkata Style
Ingredients for the dough;
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt adjust
- warm water As required
- 1 tbsp ghee
Ingredients for marination:
- 150 gms boneless chicken
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- 1 tbsp green chili garlic and ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- oil for shallow fry the chicken
Ingredients for the chicken roll:
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch chat masala
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp sliced onions
- 2 tbsp ketchup
Marinating the chicken:
- Take a bowl and add chicken, salt, cumin-coriander powder, chili powder, green chili, garlic, and ginger paste. Mix them well so that chicken can absorb all the flavors from the spices. keep it aside for 20 mins.
Making the dough:
- Take a mixing bowl and add flour, sugar, salt, and ghee. And mix them well. After that pour the warm water slowly and knead the dough. Rest it for 10 mins.
Preparation of the chicken for roll:
- Heat the oil in the pan and add chicken to the pan and keep the flame in the medium. Fry the chicken until it is properly cooked. stir and Turn the chicken pieces in between so that it can be cooked evenly.
- Then turn off the stove and transfer the chicken into a plate with the kitchen towel, so that it can absorb the excess oil.
Preparation of chicken roll:
- Take the dough and make it into equal size balls. Then sprinkle some flour on the surface and roll the ball into chapati.
- Then make a cut from the center to one edge with a knife and roll the chapati from one edge to the other and make a ball again.
- Again sprinkle some flour on the surface and roll it into a chatati again. This helps to the soft and flaky chapati.
- Then heat the pan and spread some oil on the pan. Then place the chapati on the pan and cook the chapati by flipping on both sides until the brown spots appear.
- Then add the beaten egg on the top of the chapati and spread it properly and cook the egg by flipping to the other side.
- when the egg is cooked, flip it again and add the beaten egg on the other side as well. Spread it and flip again to cook the egg.
- Then turn off the stove and take the chapati into the plate and sprinkle salt, chat masala and chili powder on the top.
- After that place the chicken pieces, chopped coriander leaves, sliced onions in the middle of the chapati.
- Then add the ketchup on the top of onions and roll it tightly from one edge to the other. Finally, wrap half of the roll with the silver foil or tissue paper. Serve the chicken roll hot.
Watch the Chicken Roll Recipe Video:
Similar Recipes like Chicken Roll:
Veg roll recipe: Veg roll, is very healthy and good for kid’s snacks and lunch boxes. If you have the leftover Rotis, this can be done within 20 mins. Or else knead the dough and rest the dough for 30 mins. Meanwhile, boil the veggies like carrots, potatoes, peas, beans. Then heat the oil in the pan and add cumin seeds. And add the chopped onions and fry them until they become tender. Now add the ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw flavor is gone. Then add the chopped tomatoes and add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and mix them well. Then add the boiled veggies and stir them well. Finally, add the paneer crumbs and turn off the stove.
Now take the chapati and place the veg stuffing in the middle and add chopped onions on the top. Then add the grated cheese and roll it tightly. Then wrap the edge with the silver foil or tissue paper.
Aloo Tikki: Aloo Tikki is the easy snack recipe, that can be made under 30 mins. First, boil the potatoes and mash them. Then add the salt, turmeric, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, and chaat masala. Mix all the spices well with potato. Add bread crumbs to absorb the excess moisture from the potatoes. Then make the balls with potato and press between the palms. Then heat the oil in the pan and fry them on the medium flame until they turn golden brown. Keep them in a paper towel, so that it can absorb the excess oil. Or else shallow fry them with less oil. The best part of this recipe is they can be in the sandwich as well.